50% of cell phone users download apps
Do you use your cell phone for all kinds of things? Perhaps you're reading this from your phone now. If so, you're like 91% of American adults who own a cell phone. Most cell phone users do much more than make phone calls with their handsets. In a recent survey from the Pew Internet & Anerican Life Project, researchers polled Americans from around the UnitedSstates and discovered some of the most popular activities people perform on their cell phones.
- 81% of cell phone owners send or receive text messages
- 60% of cell phone owners access the internet
- 52% send or receive email
- 50% download apps
- 49% get directions, recommendations, or other location-based information
- 48% listen to music
- 21% participate in a video call or video chat
- 8% “check in” or share their location
ABOUT THE SURVEY
The findings in this report are based on data from telephone interviews conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International from April 17 to May 19, 2013, among a sample of 2,252 adults ages 18 and older. Telephone interviews were conducted in English and Spanish by landline and cell phone. For results based on the total sample, one can say with 95% confidence that the error attributable to sampling is plus or minus 2.3 percentage points. More information is available in the Methods section at the end of this report.