TheReadingRoom.com Announces the Best Summer Books of 2013
The organization that touts itself as the "Independent Bookseller of the Future" unveils its list of must-reads for the beach or hammock.
TheReadingRoom.com¹s list of 12 Best Summer Books of 2013 are:
- Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. An utterly brilliant novel that examines the question: What if you had the chance to live your life again and again, until you finally got it right?
- The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud. TheReading Room recommends this story of betrayal that reads like a psychological thriller.
- The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls by Anton Disclafani. An evocative debut novel of secrets and girls-school rituals.
- The Curiosity by Stephen P Kiernan. A mystery story that¹s generating a lot of buzz, including kudos from Justin Cronin, author of The Passage.
- The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon. A sprawling, complex and futuristic young adult novel, the first in a series of seven.
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. The much-loved author returns with a magical new novel that crosses genres and will appeal to all ages of readers.
- Kiss Me First by Lottie Moggach will send shivers down your spine, not only because it is so well written but also because the story is so incredibly plausible.
- The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell is for those who enjoyed classics like The Talented Mr Ripley or who are in The Great Gatsby mood. Although not without some faults, The Other Typist will entertain you with its story set in the Prohibition era.
- Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld This is a story of identical twins, family and identity, loyalty and deception, and the delicate line between truth and belief. Curtis Sittenfeld is the acclaimed and bestselling author of Prep and American Wife.
- My Notorious Life by Kate Manning. Based on a true story, this novel is set in gritty New York City in the last half of the nineteenth century. Readers will see New York like never before, but mostly will be swept away by Axie Muldoon, and her rags-to-riches story of an orphan who becomes one of the most successful and controversial‹midwives of her time.
- A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marr. A highly readable story of unspeakable horrors. It takes place in Chechnya, moving back and forth in time over recent history.
TheReadingRoom.com is an independent online portal where readers can find, buy, and discuss books. "Best Summer Books of 2013" is their curated list of 12 newly released and soon-to-be-released titles, and it spans a variety of genres, including literary fiction, mysteries and young adult fiction. Just as the curator of an art gallery curates its collection, so, too, does our site carefully select books to showcase to our members, ensuring that our readers can discover new authors and hidden gems, in much the way traditional bookstore windows and counter displays worked in the past," said Kim Anderson, CEO of TheReadingRoom.com.